Thursday, July 4, 2013

Wishcloths and sunshine. Happy 4th of July!

I am extremely proud of myself.
I have got my workplace on board to do a year long fundraiser with knitted dishcloths for the 2014 Relay for Life in the Comox Valley. 
We are calling them "wishcloths", this is my little brainchild and I am thrilled that it seems I have people on board who are wanting to help.

So far I have managed to get a basket donated and have brought in my own cotton and needles. I am giving lessons at work and I hope I can keep the fire going because the concept of having a big fundraiser and a big donation for next year just makes me excited.

I have often though "why bother" when it comes to fund raising for huge organizations like the cancer society. I am under no illusion that all the money I raise will go to research or treatment. I guess it is because I can not do nothing, I have had to live with that monster in my house and  damn close to in my own body. I can't have children due to a surgery I had to have at 25, It was to avoid cancer, it was beginning. SO, I guess it comes down to more of a therapeutic thing to feel like I am doing something.

It was a great way to start my day. People are excited about it and if I am good at anything it's being enthusiastic and somewhat persistent. I can keep them going!

On another note Happy 4th of July!! I hope my U.S. friends are having one hell of a party today.  Independence day? Well, I am sad to say that there are alot of reasons to be not so proud of the U.S. these days, but I do believe that a large amount of the people should be proud that they have the chops to speak up, stand up , and keep the rights that were given to them. I hope there are alot of rainbow flags flying today along with the stars and striped. I hope women are breastfeeding their babies on the parade lines and maybe there are more than a few special weddings happening that have been waited far too long for. I hope that tomorrow they can all remember how well they got along today and maybe keep that going a little.

All that is likely easy to say from my cozy Canadian seat but truly I am sending thoughts for a great day in the U.S.

As for little old me, Summer is here, the sun is out, and I am one giant freckle. Life is bliss! What a great year so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment